That did Not just happen!

Story time before homework... I've gotta stop doing this, but it won't get off my mind until I put it somewhere. I will make this quick.

Setting: End of class, everyone is leaving
Characters: Me (duh), Boy, and Friend (she is married, so she's off-limits to said Boy).
Item of Discussion: Green Envelope.

Apparently the only formal dance that UVU has is the homecoming week, "Emerald Ball." (First off, don't ask me why homecoming week is the last week of November, but it is. Second off, don't ask me why UVU only has one formal dance.)

Boy drops a green envelope on my papers as I'm putting them in my backpack. So I look at it, look at him. He continues to talk to Friend. I ask, "What is this?"
He ignores me.
I proceed to open it up, but realize it has already been opened. I look up at him again (I'm sitting, he's standing) to see if he is in the least bit bothered by the fact that I'm about to read his mail. He's not. This is not a private letter, I see, but, rather, a formal, unaddressed invitation to the "Emerald Ball."
I don't even know what to do with this piece of information in my hand.
Friend leaves.
Self packs up, hands the envelope back to him and asks, "So, are you going to this Ball?"
Boy replies, "I dunno."
I don't know what to say so the words, "[Insert name of Random mutual friend here] would tell you you should go" formulate in my mind and wind their way out of my mouth. (I am kicking myself for not telling him that I am hoping that someone will get the courage to ask me to this.)
Boy, "I actually think she's the one that gave this to me." [Don't worry, she's not hinting to him, she's got her own man.] He packs the envelope into his stuff.
We walk out of class with dumb conversation. In the hallway he doesn't make any sort of eye contact, but rather walks away hunched over like he's in a hurry.

....?....

Did I read way too much in a simple act of nothing or was that an actual attempt at asking me out?

Comments

Unknown said…
Well, from your account it seems like he's a shy guy so I think it's definitely feasible that he got cold feet.