The Chickens Are Getting to Work

 Our chickens have started laying eggs! Which is the purpose for which we bought them and built them a house and feed them... and try to keep the kids from terrorizing them too much.

The eggs are brown but they also have a sort of purple hue to them that's hard to capture in pictures.



There are probably only two who have been laying. We have only gotten two a day at max, but some days only one. One day we got an egg without a shell, but we spread calcium in their run and haven't had a problem like that again yet. I don't know how often or how much calcium we'll have to give them, so here's to hoping we won't run into that problem again.

Because the chickens are laying, which is their purpose, it means we now have virtuous chickens. :) 


Comments

Justin Ferrell said…
Bethany, I'm so glad I've (re)discovered your blog. I miss having a Maddox (or three) in my life.

Also, I hope your other chickens follow the example of your virtuous two and begin laying as well.