I do NOT share my toothbrush.

Okay people. It has been brought to my attention by a person other than the voices in my head that I have not updated this blog in far too long than can be healthy for a blog. (I am sure it's too long because we live in an age of constant updates, posts, retweets, etc. If you didn't post today it's probably no longer relevant.)

But really, when studying that screenshot it's not hard to see which one of us is a more frequent communicator. (Yes, I was lost, alone, unfriended, and abandoned outside of the Clyde building at BYU on August 12th at 12:33 pm. It was horrid. I was able to rise above my circumstances and obtain entrance past a scathing glance of a BYU coed who disapproved my choice of armor for the day.) I digress.

In response to her text I have chosen to explain, very quickly, a story about how a little bit of gratitude can have a little bit of impact in your life.

First off: 
I do NOT share a toothbrush. With anyone. That's just gross. I'm married but I have boundaries and that is one of them.

Second off: 
In order for this story to make sense you have to understand that I kind of share a toothbrush.

It's getting awkward in here.

Allow me to relieve the tension. 

My husband (who loves finding great deals) purchased an electronic toothbrush. It was a great investment. (Story for another day: "Husband Goes for Years w/o a Dentist Appointment -- You'll Never Guess What Happens Next!" in which it is revealed that he doesn't have cavities. He rewards his electronic toothbrush. The next article is about his wife who claims WAY better hygiene than her husband and how she still has problems with her teeth.) (But like I said, those are stories for other times.) Meanwhile... he doesn't get cavities. The beautiful thing about this toothbrush, he told me as he introduced me the idea of sharing it, was that it came with two, separate, individual, and distinct toothbrush heads. You can take one off and attach the other. It's like two electronic toothbrushes for the price of one! Because it kind of is... However, I opted to not only take him up on his deal of sort of sharing a toothbrush, I gave it a plus one. I always keep an extra toothbrush as well. I get two. He gets one. Somehow this works really well. Especially when we have been apart overnight for random events and etc.

So we don't share a toothbrush head. Gross. We just share a toothbrush, electronic body part. That is a horrible way to describe it. We share a toothbrush base and switch out the heads. 

Okay. Now to the actual story part. You'll never guess how short this story actually is!

The other day The Hubs and I were getting ready for the day. When we get ready for the day, or for bed, I sometimes use the electric toothbrush and switch the head back to his. He's going to use it next anyway, so why not? You know, one of those, "Small things" that keeps the love going. (Or so they tell me). I don't do it every time. In fact, sometimes if he brushed his teeth last at night I will wait the extra two minutes for him to brush first in the morning. Fewer switches. But when we're not on par with our economic switcher-roosies I will sometimes make up the difference. You know, looking out for him. 

But I didn't ever think he noticed. He just took the toothbrush, adjusted the head if he needed, and brushed. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure that when he is ready to brush his teeth the thought process goes like this: Brush teeth. And then his actions line up like this immediately following that thought: *Brushes teeth.*

Why is it never that simple for me???

So this one morning in particular, Jacob thanked me for switching the heads on the toothbrush after I brushed. It was so sweet. I love random expressions of gratitude. Words are a particularly strong love language for me, at least from this guy. I was so pleased to hear this simple act being recognized.

Yet I was confused.

I replied with a, "you're welcome." A very confused, "you're welcome," but a verbal acknowledgement of his gratitude just the same. 

It wasn't until a full ten minutes after this short conversation that I started to laugh.

I hadn't even used the electronic toothbrush that morning. 

I had used my "manual."

His toothbrush head had been on there since the night before. I hadn't even touched the thing.

He didn't bother to wonder at my genuine LOL moment, but I explained it to him all the same. He seemed to suddenly understand my confusion and then carried on with his normal activities.

That is where the story should end.

BUT IT DOESN'T.

The truth is, that ever since he kindly acknowledged and thanked me for such a small and routine event, I can't seem to stop doing it. I can't even begrudgingly do it because the day is ending and I am running out of time to serve my spouse that day because it is funny to me now. The only time he thought to notice and thank me for such a banal, hum-drum thing was the one time I didn't actually do it. And the memory makes me laugh a little (on the inside now). So every time I touch the electronic toothbrush I pay special care to replace his toothbrush head when I'm done so that his sincere Thank You doesn't go wasted.


On second thought, perhaps I shouldn't post this. If he finds it then he will realize what magnificent power he wields over my daily life by expressing such  a small sentiment as gratitude for one single event. (Real or imagined). 

Don't be cruel. Use  your thanks wisely.





Comments