Happy Fridays

One of the best parts about driving a VW Beetle is watching and or hearing the reactions of kids outside or in other cars who see my car. It always hits a reminiscent spot inside of me. It takes me back to happy childhood moments where I triumphed in giving the slug-bug-what-colour contest punches, rather than my usual role as recipient.
I mean, one day I drove by a group of teenage wanna-be-tough-guys, but one of them pointed to my car and hit another guy. Another day driving to my mum's house for lunch a couple of school kids got excited, and because the day was nice and my windows were rolled down I heard the classic line, "Slug Bug!"
My favorite moment thus far was stopping at a light on University (either avenue or parkway, I always get those two confused) but as I looked to my left there were two little girls in the back of their daddy's fancy ride. One of them looked at my car, looked at me and then waved. I waved back. She got so excited, she told the other girl, who promptly sat up to wave to me too. So I waved to her. They erupted into a fit of giggles!
After a few moments I realized they were both watching me, so I waved to them and just enjoyed how much pleasure they derived from this small interaction. Suddenly one of them looked at me, and pointed to her sister with one hand and drew circles near her temple with the other. I put a serious face on and nodded in agreement.
Oh the look on her face was priceless!
The sister popped forward from where she was partially hidden by the window frame, trying to tell me she wasn't the crazy one- it was her sister. I nodded knowingly, but the light turned green and their dad started driving away. They waved like crazy and I wave back as long as I could before I needed the one hand on the gear shifter and the other on the wheel.
I felt like I had made two new friends without ever saying a word.

Comments