sunsets

Today as I left work I noticed how beautiful I thought the sky was with the sun setting in the distance and a perfect view of the mountain range from the front door of my work.
Then I remembered how frequently I have that thought when I leave work.
I don't know what it is about sunsets but I love them. I love the colour the air turns as the sun is setting. I love the Utah mountains, where the light hits the mountains on the east side of the valley as the sun sets in the west. (and yes, I know that you know which side the sun sets on.) I love the stripe of red or orange on those mountains. I love the way the light sometimes is a stripe behind the dark triangles of the mountains out yonder. I love to be able to experience a sunset.
But I usually jump in my car and start driving home. That's not always the safest thing to do because I end up with my head at a constant turn trying to fill my eyes with the beauty of it all.
Today was no different until I was driving past the cemetery. I have a deep respect for cemeteries. I also have a memory of Julianna Boulter being late for getting ice cream after a YSA FHE because some sort of promise to herself that she would always take the time to watch the sunset if she saw it. On that random memory and whim I took a left into it and found a perfect place to watch the rest of the sunset.
As I sat I watched the lingering beams of direct sunlight, realizing that it would soon be dark. I felt like I was holding out for those little beams to never go away. I didn't want them to disappear. I didn't want this day- which was a very happy day- to end.
The realization then sunk in that I am not just doing that to the sunlight, I do that to my own life. I have wonderful things in my life, but then it gets time for them to move on. Or for me to move on. I served a mission, but that is over, and it is time for me to move on. But I never want to move on. I want to capture the goodness and keep life where it is. It reminded me of this particular mormon message. at 1:49 in that movie the guy says, "She probably didn't even give it any consideration that her future could be better than her past." And that is what I thought of outside, shivering in the cold wind on the top of the hill in the cemetery. If I don't have the faith that life now can be better than it was then I'm holding myself back with fear. That isn't what the Savior would have me do. He already prepared things so I can continue to move forward and have a better life. He has better plans for me than I have for myself. I just have to have the faith to move forward and believe that He knows whats best for me, that way as I act I will gain access to those blessings.
I don't think that was what I expected to write today when I started this blog, but I'm pretty sure I am grateful for every opportunity to reflect on the Savior and I'm very grateful for everything He has given and still gives me.
Even Sunsets.

Comments

Jeannine said…
Bethany,
Do we get to see a picture of your new car on here?