wishful thinking

sometimes I wish I was creative.
I have creative spurts every once in a while. I usually don't know what to do with them. Then they usually just go to my stomach after I've turned them into brownies. Which isn't so good for my metabolism, I'm sure. . .
Anyway, tonight in particular, I was wishing I could be creative with words and evoking emotion through poetry and song lyrics. The reason was because I needed to get some creative energy flowing and the only way I had to do that was by writing the lyrics to any and every song that came into my head. This process was interrupted by the customers coming through my checkstand, and my various conversations with ScottE., the closest checker.
But man alive! So many people make a living being creative and writing music and songs and words. Telling their stories that people understand- I listen to the music because I like it because its like the person who is singing understands me. They have been through it all before. They tell it like it is. No matter the singer. Mika, Regina Spektor, Beyonce', Panic at the Disco, Vertical Horizon, Ingrid Michalson, The Cranberries, Daughtry, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, Richard Harris, Green Day, Michael Buble', White Tie Affair, Train, Owl City, Lady Gaga, Jason MRAZ, Sufjan Stevens, The Weepies, etc etc etc.
and then I think
Why do I waste my time? I'm living my own life, and I could write the lyrics to my own song. All of these people who have made livings from writing and singing songs just to entertain. I should probably be filling my head with important things instead. I think I have enough blonde moments in my own life to entertain myself. And I'm very easily amused, so why do I need to pay for others to occupy my attention? I guess that's just going to have to be a work in progress.
Perhaps that will be a better resolution for my new year than the ones I set in January.

Comments

Matt said…
Uh, girl, first of all, we've all read your poetry on here, and we KNOW you're creatively talented, so don't go talking like that. Second, you just write whatever makes you happy. That's the purpose of it, right? That's how those other artists got where they are now. So, just be....basically Bethany! And the rest will come naturally.
Bethany Anna said…
awww! Thanks Matt! And I'll just do my best to be basically me! Which reminds me (don't ask me how) I OWE YOU A CANDY BAR!