Adopting

I have a new favorite hangout. It's at an old folks home in Rexburg, Idaho. I've started going with a group to do a thing called, "Adopt a Grandparent." It has been so much fun! At first I was very apprehensive, and I was very intimidated. I did not know what I would do when I was there. Now that I've gone three whole times I'm basically pro.
The first two times I attempted to just follow my friends to visit with whomever they wanted to visit with, but it didn't really work. Both times I spent almost the whole hour visiting with one lady. I told the first lady I would come back, but I didn't see her the second time. I saw her the third time, and called her by name, and she said, "where did you get that name from?"
and I told her, "That's what you told me it was when I visited you before!"
to which she replied, "Well that's right. That's what my name has always been, and that's what it is."
Some of the residents don't remember what they've told you, and will tell you the same things every time. Some of them are really funny! One lady I got talking to was just ready to tell me the story of her life! No holding back once I got her started. It was really fun to be able to talk to them, to hear different things, and some of the same things over and over.
My dad had a theory, that sometimes they tell you the same things over on purpose. They want you to remember their story. They want to make sure that you don't forget it. I wonder if it helps them remember their own stories, by telling them over again. I hope that my few hours of visiting really has meant something to them.
I told one, at the end of my visit with her, that I'd come back next week. She's really sharp and will probly hold me to it. Which is just fine, 'cuz this time I am excited to go!

Comments

Stacy Emmons said…
I'm pretty much a convert to Adopting Grandparents. I think Robert's gonna be my grandpa for the rest of my time in Rexburg!