if taylor swift put my life story to one of her songs...

The teen pop culture world has been hit by a storm. A storm most people like to call Taylor Swift. I like to call it, "I hate her." But I don't really really hate her. I just really don't like all the public hype that surrounds her. I think she's okay as far as musicianship goes... I even get her songs stuck in my head, but I don't love how CRAZY my peers tend to get over her.
But I was thinking the other day, as her song, "Tim McGraw" ran through my head- which can hardly be helped, considering my peers- why does she get so much attention? what makes her so loveable? Why does everyone love her music? Is it really the stories of their lives? One of my good friends tells me, every time we get in the car and suddenly her Taylor Swift CD is playing (again), "Taylor and I have been through so many breakups together! We're just such good friends! She doesn't know that... but whatever."
Is it that the girls feel her pain? Is it that Taylor knows how to talk/sing about the pain and the good times and everything that we feel ourselves? Is that the secret to success in the entertainment business? Just to connect to the viewers? Isn't that just communicating Empathatically? We've been learning about that in my Communications class. Where Empathy is where you can understand what someone else has been through, even though you haven't had the same experience. She just had really poetic experiences, I guess.
I realize I can hear her songs and relate to what she is singing about. But, they're not always quite the same as my experiences. So what if she wrote a song that detailed my life, instead of hers? Perhaps I would make it big on the Celeb. scene...
But, since I'm not as tight with her as some, whether in reality or in my mind, I can't really ask her to do such a personal favor. So I just substituted my own story in the words of her song, "Tim McGraw" for her. (if she actually sang it, it'd have to have some rhythm re-adjustments as well... but it's basically the same thing...)
With that warning, be prepared to "barf-O" through this whole thing... except for at the creeper farmer with the shovel in the flooded field part- that's supposed to be funny!



I think the way his blue eyes shone
Put those Highland stars to shame that night
he said: "That's a lie."
Just a boy in a Mazda 3
That had this crazy tendency
to love girls like me-e-eee
And I was right there beside him all weekend long
Until it was time to find that I had gone

But when you think that moonlight walk
I hope you think my favorite gazebo
The one we would have danced in all night long
The moon like a spotlight on just the two of us
When you think happiness
I hope you think my red polka-dots
Think of the world's greatest hug
And my faded "glo"- brand jeans
When you think of moonlight walks
I hope you think of me

June should have been a month of tears
I was quite grateful that you weren't here
To see what I thought about you.
But in my box just above my bed
is a letter I've read, and re-read
From three whole weeks back
It's hard not to find it all a little bitter sweet
And lookin' back on all of that, it's nice to believe

When you think That full-moon night
remember my necklace reflecting the light,
The one we spoke of all night long.
The moon like a spotlight on just us
When you think happiness
I hope you think my polka-dot belt
Think of my hand holdin' yours
And my faded "glo" brand jeans
When you think our starry night
I hope you think of me

And I'm comin' back again since then
I might stand on your street
And there's a letter I want to leave for you

that could change our world if you could read:

When you think of full moons (but not were-wolves)
Think of some shovler-man, in a flooded field.
when you pass that old church again,
I hope it takes you back to that place
When you think happiness
I hope you think that stunning gray dress
When you think Sunday School

whispering in your ear,
When you think of life at it's best
I hope you think of me

Oh, think of me
Mmmm

I said, "the way your blue eyes shine
Put those Highland stars to shame that night"
"and that's no lie."

Comments

Andi said…
ooooooh bethany :D
Stacy Emmons said…
Can I be in your next Taylor Swift song?

=]